Mick Flynn Images
Fine Art America
Château de Montrésor
The Château de Montrésor is a medieval castle with a Renaissance mansion built in the grounds, located in the French town of Montrésor in the département of Indre-et-Loire.During the 17th and 18th centuries, other leading families - such as the Bourdeilles and the Beauvilliers - lived in the castle. The French Revolution marked the beginning of its decline. Around 1845, count Jouffroy de Gonsan demolished the west wing of the Renaissance logis as well as the castle chapel. In 1849, Xavier Branicki, a rich Polish count and friend of emperor Napoleon III, arrived to give new life to Montrésor; Branicki had the castle completely restored. He equipped the house with rich furnishings and roofs and the house was the setting for sumptuous feasts with prince Napoléon, the cousin of the Emperor. Branicki's descendants still own the castle.
The Château de Montrésor is listed as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.
Mpixels (57.1 MB uncompressed) - 3648x5472 pixels (12.1x18.2 in / 30.9x46.3 cm at 300 ppi)